Ingredients for the peanut butter rice:
- 2 cups of rice
- 4 cups of water
- a pinch of salt
- 1 Tbsp. cooking oil
- 1 Tbsp. peanut butter
Ingredients for the beef stew with sugar beans:
- 500 g beef
- 2 cups sugar beans
- garlic, onions, paprika
- spices and soup powder
- Put boiling water in a pot and add rinsed rice, salt and a little bit of cooking oil. Let the rice cook on medium heat until it is almost done.
- Make sure there is still some water in the pot, then add the peanut butter, mix it thoroughly and cook on low heat for 10 more minutes.
- Soak the beans in cold water overnight. If you do not have the time to do so, soak in boiling water for 2 hours. Drain and rinse your soaked sugar beans. Put them in a pot and boil until cooked. Set aside.
- Cut beef into medium sized pieces. Heat some oil in a pan and fry the meat with your favorite spices (In my case I used black pepper, paprika, curry and of course salt).
- Add garlic, onions and paprika respectively and fry until the meat is a lovely brown color then put your soup powder.
- Add tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes are tender and cooked through then you can put the boiled beans in the same pot.
- Add a little bit of water, and let it simmer, stirring regularly.
- Heat oil in a pan and put the cabbage and fry for about 2 minutes. Add in the kale and some salt and pepper and fry for 3 more minutes.
Your meal is ready, so go ahead and plate it however you want. I like to mould the rice. Don’t forget to dig in with your hands, the Zimbabwean way!