Check out this delicious southern German asparagus recipe from Patricia.
(Serves 4 people)
Ingredients for asparagus and sauce
- 500 g asparagus
- 100 g Butter
- 30 g flour
- 200 ml cream
- 300 ml milk
- salt, pepper, nutmeg
Ingredients for crepes
- 250 g flour
- 500 ml milk
- 3 eggs
- 250 g ham
- salt, pepper, chives
- Peal the asparagus. Peal out half of the asparagus and cut the dry ends of. Keep the ends.
- Put the asparagus and the ends into a pot and cover them with water. Add a tablespoon of butter, a pinch of salt and sugar to it.
- Start boiling the asparagus in low/medium heat. It shouldn’t bubble.
- Start with the dough.
- Add the flour, then the eggs and the seasoning. Start whisking slowly. Try to get rig of any flour lumps.
- Start to slowly incorporate the milk. The dough should be not as liquid as water. So if necessary add a bit of flour.
- The asparagus is done once you can pinch it with a fork and its soft and falls of the fork.
- Start with the sauce
- If you don’t want to make a sauce, you can also use hollandaise sauce.
- Add the butter to a pot and let it melt.
- Add the flour and combine it with a whisk.
- Once it becomes a cream, slowly add the milk and cream. Try to avoid lumps.
- Season the sauce with nutmeg, salt and pepper to your liking.
- Tipp: I like to use the before cut up ends and mash them and then add them to the sauce. That way the sauce tastes a bit like asparagus as well.
- If the sauce gets to thick for your liking you can always add either milk or if you want a bit of asparagus taste some of the asparagus water.
- To start with the crepes, heat up a pen to high heat and melt a bit of butter. You can use a non stick pan and leave the butter away but the butter makes it taste better.
- Once hot add a ladle of dough to the pan and swirl it so make the crepe.
- Once brown flip it. They are done once they are brown on both sides.
- To plate the dish, put the crepe flat on the plate, add a piece of ham and add as much asparagus as you want. Fold the crepes together and add sauce to the top. Garnish with chives.